The following are a selected list of sources that can be found for free online. I am continually updating this bibliography and it is neither comprehensive nor exhaustive. There are innumerable books out there about the Vikings, and these are but a select few that I find both useful and accessible to the average Viking history enthusiast. I will be continually adding more books as I come across them, as well as links to online primary sources as I find them/as they are published.
Sources for Viking History found online
- For English translations of the bulk of the Viking sources in the British Isles and Western Europe, visit Yale’s collection, posted by Anders Winroth. CLICK HERE.
- Here is the full text of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle from Project Guttenberg. CLICK HERE.
- Here is an English translation of Ibn Fadlan’s account of the Rus. CLICK HERE.
- Here are excerpts from the Russian Primary Chronicle where it concerns the Rus. CLICK HERE.
- For translations of the Sagas of the Icelanders, visit the Icelandic Saga Database.
- For a translation of Anskar’s mission to Birka, CLICK HERE.
- The Russian Primary Chronicle, pertaining to the conversion of the Rus, CLICK HERE.
Sources for Mythology found online
For a translation of Snorri Sturluson’s Prose Edda, a good translation is available on Project Gutenberg. CLICK HERE. (retrieved 01/23/17)
For the Poetic Edda, or Codex Regius, CLICK HERE. (retrieved 01/23/17)
Primary Sources for my research specifically
And finally, the primary sources on the research that I am currently conducting on the Vikings in Brittany. Again, this list is not exhaustive.
- “Annales Engolismenses ” MGH SS XVI. Ed. Holder-Egger, O. Hanover1859. 486. Print.
- “Annals of Fontanelle (Annales Fontanellenses; Chronicle of St-Wandrille).” Ed. Laporte, J. Rouen and Paris: Société de L’Histoire de Normandie, 1951. Vol. 15. Print.
- “Annals of Fulda (Annales Fuldenses).” MGH SRG. Ed. Kurze, F. Hanover1891. Print.
- Nelson, J.L. The Annals of St-Bertin. Manchester University Press, 1991. Print.
- “Annals of St-Vaast (Annales Vedastini).” MGH SRG. Ed. Simson, B. Von. Hanover1909. Print.
- Maguire, C.M.M., et al. Annals of Ulster: A. D. 431-1056. Ed. By W. M. Hennessy. H. M. Stationery Office, 1887. Print.
- “Annals of Xanten (Annales Xantenses).” MGH SRG. Ed. Simson, B. Von. Hanover1909. Print.
- Robinson, Charles H. Anskar, the Apostle of the North, 801-865, Translated from the Vita Anskarii by Bishop Rimbert. London: SPCK, 1921. Print.
- Rogers, B., and B.W. Scholz. Carolingian Chronicles: Royal Frankish Annals and Nithard’s Histories. University of Michigan Press, 1972. Print.
- Prüm, Regino of. “Chronicon.” MGH SRG. Ed. Kurze, F. Hanover1890. Print.
- Ermentarius. De Translationibus Et Miraculis Sancti Filiberti. Ed. Poupardin, R. Paris: A. Picard, 1905. Print.
- Sturluson, S., et al. Egil’s Saga : Penguin Classics. Penguin Books Limited, 2004. Print.
- Thegan. “Gesta Hludowici Imperatoris.” MGH SS II. Ed. Pertz, G. Berlin1829. Print.
- Flodoard. “Historia Remensis Ecclesiae.” MGH SS XIII Ed. Waitz, Ed. I. Heller and G. Hanover1881. Print.
- Nithard. “Historiarum Libri Iv.” Histoire des Fils de Louis le Pieux. Ed. Lauer, P. Paris1926. Print.
- Merlet, R. La Chronique De Nantes (570 Environ-1049). BiblioBazaar, 2008. Print.
- Finlay, A., and Þ.E. Jóhannesdóttir. The Saga of the Jómsvikings: A Translation with Full Introduction. De Gruyter, 2018. Print.
- Stammerer, N. Two Lives of Charlemagne. Penguin Books Limited, 2013. Print.
- Ermentaire. Vie Et Miracles De Saint-Philbert. Eds. Delhommeau, abbé Louis, Claude Bouhier and Préf. Jacques Oudin. Noirmoutier-en-l’Île: Les Amis de l’Île de Noirmoutier, 1999. Print.
- Astronomer. “Vita Hludovici Pii.” MGH LXIV. Ed. Tremp, E. Hanover1995. Print.
- The mission of St. Columban to Merovingian Gaul.
- Hasting brings back Moors to Ireland, the Annals of Ireland by Duald Mac Fibris.
Other sources not listed in this list appear in the individual articles themselves. If there’s one you are looking for in particular, feel free to send me a message about it and I’ll track it down for you and where you can find it.